Eligibility & Nomination:
- All articles published in the two SMBE journals, Molecular Biology & Evolution and Genome Biology & Evolution (one prize for each journal), in the calendar year 2018 are automatically eligible if the final publication date of the nominated paper is not more than two years later than the date of the nominee's PhD.
- The nominated early-stage researcher must be the first author or joint first-author of the nominated paper.
- An article and its first author can be nominated by anyone, including the first author.
- A signed letter from the PhD advisor, MSc advisor, or equivalent, confirming that the paper was part of the nominee’s thesis or graduate work is required.
The nomination must provide:
- Shared first-authorship is also subject to nomination; if both first-authors are students and the article wins, the award will go to both authors.
- A signed letter from the PhD advisor, MSc advisor, or equivalent, confirming that the paper was part of the nominee’s thesis or graduate work
Process: The editor-in-chief of each journal will convene separate selection committees, which will choose one awardee each.
The Prize: The best student paper winners will be given a certificate, a prize of $2,000 and a travel award to the next annual meeting.