Eligibility & Nomination:
1. All articles published in the two SMBE journals, Molecular Biology & Evolution and Genome Biology & Evolution (one prize for each journal), in the calendar year 2021 are automatically eligible if the final publication date of the nominated paper is not more than two years later than the date of the nominee's Ph.D.
2. The nominated graduate student must be the first author or joint first-author of the nominated paper.
3. An article and its first author can be nominated by anyone; self-nominations are acceptable.
4. A signed letter from the Ph.D. advisor, MSc advisor, or equivalent, confirming that the paper was part of the nominee’s thesis or graduate work is required.
5. The deadline for submitting nominations is June 1, 2023.
The nomination must provide:
- Shared first-authorship is also subject to nomination; if both first-authors are students and the article wins, the award will go to both authors.
- A signed letter from the PhD advisor, MSc advisor, or equivalent, confirming that the paper was part of the nominee’s thesis or graduate work
Process: The editor-in-chief of each journal will convene separate selection committees, which will choose one awardee each.
The Prize: The best student paper winners will receive a prize each of $500USD, runners up a prize each of $100USD.
How to Enter
Please send the name of the nominee, a scan of the signed advisor letter, and the name of the paper for which the award is to be considered as a SINGLE PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the email subject line "MBE/GBE Best Student Paper Nomination", deleting journal name as appropriate.