We're delighted to announce that the Society for Molecular Biology & Evolution will be accepting proposals for symposium topics for the 2020 Annual Meeting from 9 September 2019. SMBE 2020 is taking place in Québec City, Canada, from 28th June to 2nd July 2020.
Please visit the SMBE 2020 website - smbe2020.org/call-for-symposia – to access information and the submission portal.
Proposals will be reviewed by the committee with around 20-30 topics selected for inclusion within the scientific programme.
10 October 2019 - Deadline for symposia applications
18 November 2019 - Abstract submission opens
20 January midnight GMT 2020 - Abstract submission deadline
24 January 2020 - Abstract review commences
Proposals should span the range of interests of SMBE members, including exciting new scientific developments, and should represent the geographic and gender diversity of our membership. To ensure the meeting is fully accessible to international participants, the conference organisers will provide supporting documentation and advice for visa applications to Canada. For each accepted symposium, SMBE will provide partial financial support to help attract outstanding invited speakers.
Symposium Proposal Guidelines
Please review the following guidelines before submitting a Symposium Proposal
- Individuals can only be listed as an organiser for one symposium proposal, although organisers can be listed as an invited speaker on another proposal
- Each symposium will include one invited speaker plus a number of contributed speakers
- All invited speakers included within a symposium should have verbally agreed to be involved before the proposal is submitted
- The Society provides financial support to facilitate symposium organisers in attracting outstanding invited speakers
- Symposium organisers should provide a description of the symposium (250 words max) that will be made public if selected. The symposium organisers will also provide a description of how their proposal brings forward the SMBE’s objective of equity and diversity, as well as any additional information for the committee to make an informed review (250 words max).
- The symposia proposals selected for inclusion within the SMBE 2020 scientific programme will then be listed on the abstract submission portal, which will open in November 2019, for members to indicate that they would want their contributed talk to be featured in a specific symposia.