Submission Deadline: 23 May 2022
Dear SMBE Members,
SMBE, through the IDEA (Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Access) task force, aims to address systemic racism, sexism, colonialism and other exclusion in our society. With this in mind, a budget of up to $25,000 per year will be dedicated to initiatives that help reduce inequities in molecular biology and evolution research. The task force would therefore like to invite members of SMBE to propose initiatives that would take place in the year 2022/2023. Examples of initiatives could include, but are not limited to, workshops, symposia, training opportunities, stand-alone featured talks, or inequity data collection in particular groups, countries, or regions (to name a few).
Guidelines and instructions for proposals
- At least one of the organizers must be a member of SMBE. Please note that you can apply for a complementary SMBE membership by contacting the SMBE council.
- A short description (between half and one full page) of the proposed idea should be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org for review by 23rd May 2022. This is the initial submission. Submissions should address how the proposal will help advance the goals of the SMBE IDEA task force.
- The initial submission should include the names and full contact information of all organizers and involved institutions. Universities/organizations providing additional financial support, if involved, should also be listed.
- Initial submissions will be reviewed and pre-selected by the IDEA task force, and candidates will be notified with a decision within 3 weeks after the initial submission deadline (by 6th June).
- If the initial submission is selected, organizers are expected to submit a full project plan by email to email@example.com by 25th July 2022. This must include a budget and time plan, as well as relevance and expected short and long-term impacts of the initiative on inclusion, diversity, equity and/or inclusion. The IDEA task force commits to aiding organizers during the development of the project plan.
- Successful proposals will be notified by 15th August 2022.
- All deadlines are 5pm local time.
- To promote the submission of initiatives, the task force will host an open workshop (open to all SMBE members and not restricted to those who submitted an initiative) on “How to design project proposals” during the SMBE IDEA symposium (at the annual SMBE conference) on the 11th and/or 12th of July (date to be confirmed).
- Organizers should submit a report (~2 pages) of the activity to the SMBE IDEA committee within 3 months of its completion.